Tom Hazzledine, aka Baker Tom, says: “This delicious fruited bread has a sweet home-made marzipan centre, and is finished with icing sugar: a perfect speciality bread for Christmas.” Here’s the recipe, so you can make it yourself; alternatively, it will be available in Tom’s shops for Christmas, where you can also order your bread to be collected on Christmas Eve.
100g mixed peel
200g bread flour
6g yeast (fresh)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
½ tsp mixed spice
½ tsp ground cinnamon
25g ground almonds
25g flaked almonds
- Bring the milk and butter to room temperature. In a large bowl, add all the ingredients apart from the raisons, currents and marzipan. TIP: soft fruits break down while kneading, so it’s best to add towards the end.
- Bring all the ingredients together to form a very sticky dough. Knead for about 10 minutes on your work surface. Add the raisins and currants, and work them in.
- Place the dough back into your mixing bowl and cover with cling film for 1 hour.
- Place your dough onto a lightly floured work surface and stretch out to a 15cm x 15cm square. Place your marzipan in the middle and roll the dough so its encloses and no marzipan can been seen.
- Pre-heat oven to 180 C
- Place onto a baking sheet and cover again for 1 1/2 hours or until double in size.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes and sprinkle with icing sugar when it comes out of the oven.
Visit Baker Tom shops in Lemon Street Market, Truro; The Platt, Wadebridge; Church Street, Falmouth; and the bakery in Wilson Way, Pool. www.bakertom.co.uk